Lookin Lively Thursday, May 19, 2011

So...I may have a lack of the P word. I pray about it daily...and then when it doesn't come fast enough, I want to just have it.

The P word has eluded me my whole life. For instance...let me introduce you to me at age 6. While waiting to go to the pool, my Mom said, I have to change and then cut your bangs and then we will go. Seeing as I wanted to get to the pool ASAP, I got the scissors out and did what I refer to as the count it cut. I started at my scalp and counted as I slid my fingers down my bangs and trimmed when I got to 3. I did that all the way across. This picture is about a month after I cut them. You can see the attention to detail.




I can still remember standing over the trash can, scissors in hand, counting and cutting away. It is only today that I realize, a mirror might have been a valuable piece of equipment. However, after the counting cut, my mother emerged from her room only to see her daughter with these bangs. Suffice it to say, I had to wear a hat to the pool that day...and for many days after that. A lack of the P word led me to many other accidents, injuries, and frustrations throughout my childhood.

As an adult, I wish I could say those prayers for the P word had led me to a more relaxed, peaceful existence...but that would be a lie. Let me give you an example. One month ago, we had an 80 degree day. It was on that day that I decided I wanted to put up my poo. (I have a 12' blow up pool, that I refer to as a poo because it's not really a nice inground or even above ground pool. It is a lovely wonderful 12' blow up oasis that I spend a lot of time in...that then folds up in a jif for the winter.) Anyway...so, I tell RDaddy I would like to put up the poo today. He said, sure, after the boys take a nap we will get out there and set it up. So, for 5 minutes after that conversation I waited for the boys to wake up...then decided I wanted it right that minute. I went and dragged the poo out of the garage, laid it out in a new spot, aired up the top ring, and started filling it up. Much to my chagrin, 5 hours later the pool was 3/4 full and taking on the shape of an oval instead of a circle. So, by this point, I figure I've spent $60 in water...and 5 hours of my time. RDaddy comes out of the house and just looks at me...then the pool...then back at me..then laughed.

All I had to do was wait an hour for RDaddy to help me. Instead...I wanted to do it right then. Not to mention, it has been one month since I filled it up and it has not been warm enough to swim, yet. So, we had to let ALL the water out, move the pool to a more even location, and fill it up again. So, I have spent another $60 in water, a month's worth of chlorine that I haven't even swam in, and two days of time.

PATIENCE...I NEED YOU NOW!

1 comment:

markoe said...

It must be genetic. Growing up my Mother always said that I was behind the door when patience was handed out. I also have that feeling that I can do it, I don't need help. Age has blunted that. I now find that even with the best of intentions I just can't do some things anymore.

Post a Comment